Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Just Chuggin Along

I have just been chugging along on my runs. I really wish I had some big race that I was training for...but nothing worked out for the fall. If airline tix weren't so expensive, I would be somewhere for a half-marathon, but unfortunately I can't bring myself to spend that much to go somewhere to run a race.

I am considering doing an "Indoor Triathalon" at the gym. Everyone swims for 10 minutes, then bikes for 30 minutes, then runs for 20 minutes (all in the gym). I know I can do respectable on the run, and I have biked to work a few times now, so I don't think I would embarrass myself there...but the swim portion scares me. I need to get to the gym early one day and see just how many laps I am able to do in 10 minutes. At least it is in a pool, and not in a lake like a normal triathalon. There are two dates I could do it (at different locations) one in September and one in November. So, I was thinking I could do the first one just to see how it is and if I like it I could make beating my Sept distances a goal for November. The problem is that I would have to cut back some of my running in order to fit in some swimming and biking training. I guess I am just afraid to cut back since I am finally at a good place with the running. If I cut back now, will I still have the motivation to ramp back up for a spring half?

Oh, and in case you didn't notice (cuz why would you?) I finally made it to 8 miles on Sunday!! Yippee!! **This is what I am afraid of losing**

3 comments:

Rachel said...

If you are at 8 miles now, you could really do a half marathon in October or sooner. I've seen a few posted. The Monster Dash is October 25 in Minneapolis. http://www.halfmarathons.net/usa_half_marathons_minnesota_monster_dash_half_marathon.html

I would be doing that one but my marathon is the week before.

Karen said...

I checked the back of my marathon book for you and it refered to this one....http://www.walkernorthcountrymarathon.com/ in September. They have a half marathon. I realize it's a few hours away but hoteling it for a night with the fam is still cheaper than flying somewhere.

It is kind of motivating to have a big race to look forward to. I am still so impressed that you are doing all this with stroller-aged children.

SueBob said...

Wow, you guys are awesome!! I actually considered the Monster Dash Half (and haven't completely ruled it out yet)...but it sounds like it was pretty disorganized last year. I have never heard of the Walker North Country one - I will have to check that one out.

And I usually run before the little ones are awake - I kinda wish I could run with them more often, but I am not running in the afternoons this time of year! They will have to wait until it cools off a little before we are regular running buddies again.