Friday, August 8, 2008

First Swim Attempt

Wow - swimming is really hard work! I mean, I figured I would be a little sore (especially my arms, since I don't really use them much while running). But I thought I would be somewhat okay with the cardio aspect of it. Boy was I wrong! I swam one length of the pool and was breathing so hard I had to take a rest before swimming back! I planned on swimming for 10 minutes (that is the time for the triathlon), and I managed to do 8 lengths in that time - well, I actually stopped at 9:30, but I wasn't going to be able to do another length in the last 30 seconds. I also alternated freestyle with backstroke, since backstroke is much easier for me. So far, I am not sore - I will give it some time though to be sure.

Goal for next week - 10 lengths...no time limit...it is more about getting in the distance.

Before the swim, I did an easy 2 miles on the treadmill. It worked out well as a warm-up for the swim.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Awesome job! Swimming is tough stuff. I always get tired so much easier than when running.