Monday, May 5, 2008

Bud Break 5k 2008 - Race Report

Holy Crap! I have never seen such hills in my life! Probably not the best course for the first race with the twins! But it was still fun. At least I hadn’t planned on getting a good time or something like that so that I would be disappointed.

I started off at the back of the pack, because I didn’t want to be in the way with the double stroller (we are not the easiest to pass). But I didn’t think about all the walkers which I ended up behind…It took a good 30 seconds just to cross the start line, and at least a full minute before I could even try to start running. The pathway was pretty narrow for the 500 people who were registered since it was basically a wide sidewalk.

Once we got going, it was just huge hill after huge hill pretty much the whole way. I ended up walking up most of the hills and trying not to let the stroller pull me too fast on the downhill sections. My calves were just burning by the end of the race.

But, we had fun. DD was ‘talking’ to half the runners/walkers that we passed (or passed us). I couldn’t see her, but I can only assume she was waving at each one (waving is one of her favorite things to do). DS was quiet most of the run, but got a little crabby near the end – no serious crying though. Both had huge smiles once the race was over and they got out of the stroller.

It was beautiful running weather (a little chilly for the little ones though). Low/mid 50s with just a little breeze and some sun coming through the trees.

I finished somewhere over 38 minutes, which is close to what I expected. This morning my legs are sore in new places – I guess that means I got a good workout!

Stats
Race: Arboretum "Bud Break"
Date: May 4, 2008
Distance: 5K
Official Time: 39:36
Average Pace: 12:45
Overall Place: 264/423
Place in Age Group: 38/59

Next race: 6/1 – Grand Old Day 8K (my first race longer than 5K). I registered last night.

2 comments:

*jen* said...

Congrats! That sounds like a great time for pushing a double stroller. Come to think of it, I think 38 min was my last 5k time from a few years ago...and I certainly wasn't pushing anything!

Also, congrats on signing up for your 8k. Will you push the stroller on that one as well?

SueBob said...

No stroller for the 8K - the kids can only handle about 3-4 miles before they start getting fussy. I will have to find another good 5K to take them on this summer though that doesn't have so many hills. Now we have a PR to break!!