Tuesday, May 6, 2008

First Run without Music

I got my new Nike+ Sportband in the mail yesterday. I had been debating getting one – I really like having my music, but if I am going to be entering longer races I am going to have to run without the headphones eventually. If I get into the TC 10 miler, I definitely want both my 10 mile race and all my training runs to count toward my Nike+ challenges and goals! Plus, I am one of those people who has to know how far I ran each run, for the week, the month, and eternity, along with my average pace for each. It is hard to find right now, since it is only on a limited release through Nike. So, once I found it for sale somewhere that I could use a coupon (I am addicted to coupons), I had to get it.

Anyway, I wanted to try it out this morning to make sure I could get it to work properly. There is a half mile ‘round the block’ loop near my house, so I figured I could check if the factory calibration was close. When the alarm went off at 5AM I did what I always do…snooze…ten minutes later I laid there trying to convince myself to get out on the road. I had to promise myself a Starbucks on the way to work (I only allow them as a treat about once a month or so).

I finally made it, and ran around the block twice (ok, so only a mile – but at least it was something). But it turns out that without the music I started thinking about some issues at work. I continued thinking about it while getting ready and I was then so eager to get to work and get started on it that I completely missed the turn into Starbucks!! Well, I made the u-turn and got my latte, so don’t worry about that. But, now I can see what those no-headphones runners are always talking about. I am going to have to test the theory more thoroughly of course, but I think I might actually be able to survive without the music!

2 comments:

*jen* said...

Ditto with needing to know how far I've gone! I think that's part of the reason I do so much treadmill running.

Jillian said...

I've been hearing a lot about the Nike+ sportband lately...I'll have to really check it out.

Thanks for the comment on my blog! Way to go on your running - you seem to be making some great progress lately!