Friday, May 23, 2008

Back to the real world

Ahhh, what a relaxing vacation (well, mostly anyway). I didn’t run as much as I would have liked, not that I am surprised, but I did make it a few times. The first time I went outside in the FL Keys early in the morning. The weather wasn’t too bad – the sun wasn’t full strength yet. But there wasn’t really anywhere to run on the resort! I followed every sidewalk I could find, and ran a few spots without sidewalks, and made it back to our place in about 1.5 miles. Oh well, I tried. After that, I stuck to the hotel treadmills, but the fitness rooms were so hot and there were no fans. So, I had a couple very short runs (only one *barely* over 2 miles), but at least I ran a few times. I really need to make sure I get that long run in this weekend, before my first 8K next weekend.

On the drive out of the Keys we kept passing these runners going the other direction who were obviously in some race (the bibs gave them away). But it was so weird, they were just running along the highway on either side and were pretty spread out. I noticed there were some vans here and there, so I figured it must have been a relay or an ultra or something. But, most of the runners didn’t look like my image of ultra-runners (I have never actually known any…I just always imagined they were skinny and all muscle). So, I checked it out online yesterday and determined it must have been the Keys 100 – a 100 mile race from Key Largo to Key West (there were individual and relay versions). OMG!!! Can you imagine running 100 miles in the Keys!?!? That is just amazing!! The temps were in the 90s and you can’t forget that FL humidity! I am still pretty awestruck…

Also, I think I may have found my first half marathon!! I have been looking for a fall HM either in the twin cities area or somewhere that I could combine a trip with my continuing education credits for work (since I will be making a trip anyway). But I didn’t want just any HM…it has to either be one of the ‘big’ ones (I so wish the TCM had a HM) or something that sounds especially fun or scenic. I mean, this is my first HM after all! So, I came across the Team Ortho Monster Dash 5K/HM at the end of October – cheesy Halloween theme, in the lakes area (scenic), closeby, and great timing. I need to look into some more – I don’t know much about it besides the above, but it may actually work…

No comments: