Monday, January 4, 2010

2010 Goals

I laid out a whole list of PR goals for almost every distance that I have run - pretty much like last year. I even posted it on this blog...right over there -> to the right. Then I looked at it and wondered if that was really what I wanted to do this year. What were REALLY my 2010 goals?

In 2009, although I had some fun breaking PRs and meeting almost all of the goals that I had set out for the year, my MAIN goal had been to run the marathon. That is where most of my focus had been. I ran some of the other races just to make the PR, I wasn't actually training for them specifically.

So, I decided to get rid of most of my goals and set just a few goals that I will have to work hard to achieve...if I accomplish those, then I bet some new PRs will just automatically come in other distance races. With that said, here are my 2010 Goals:

Run a Half Marathon in 2 hours - When I finished my marathon, I decided that I would not run another one until I got faster...because 5 hours is a long time to run. My arbitrarily assigned "faster" is a HM under (or damn close to) 2 hours. My hopes are that I can do this during 2010 and roll that into training for my second marathon in 2011. In 2010, I plan to focus my racing efforts on Half Marathons...starting with the Lake Minnetonka Half Marathon on May 2 (I have at least 4 months in a row of HMs picked out, but am not committing to them until I see how I feel coming up to and finishing my first of the year).

One Thousand Miles - Does it look fancier if I spell it out? This was a goal for 2009 that I didn't meet. I was on track up until the marathon, but ended up cutting my miles by more than I had thought afterward. I ended up short with 867.1 miles...although this was my highest mileage year so far, so I plan to build on that and actually hit the 1,000 mile mark for 2010.

Volunteer or Cheer for at least 3 events - I feel like I have been a volunteer slacker. There are so many people that volunteer for the events that I run and I just haven't given back much.

There you have it. My 2010 goals. All three of them. I hope that narrowing my focus will end up being a positive. And to you, a belated...

Happy New Year!!