Monday, August 17, 2009

I'm gonna blame the rain...

I woke up to my alarm Sunday morning - same as usual. I knew it was suppose to rain, so I looked outside before I started getting rain, just a little wet. So, I grabbed a PBJ sandwich which I ate while playing on the internet for a few minutes. I put my running clothes on and started getting all my gear organized. Then I went downstairs to clean up a little bit before heading out and what did I hear? A sudden downpour outside! I went to check it out and during the short time that I was looking out the window I saw three lightning flashes. So...I went back to bed.

I woke up again to the sound of the kids wanting out of their cribs. "Up, up, up. Up, up, up." you get the point. I looked outside and the rain had stopped but it still looked horrible outside. I ate a giant muffin and debated going out for my run...eventually I decided I should just do it! So, I finished getting everything belt, garmin, gels, visor, mp3, chilled water & choc milk for the drive home...and headed out to the lakes. Yeah, I know I said I was going to try to avoid the lakes, but I figured that way I wouldn't end up 9 miles from the car if it started downpouring again.

The run started a little tough. My legs felt heavy and the muffin felt like a brick in my stomach. I headed around Cedar Lake first. Normally I could make it around fine without stopping/walking (it is about 4 miles around) but this time I struggled a little and walked a few times. I stopped back at my car at 4 miles and took my first gel then headed toward Lake Calhoun. By the time I made it about halfway around Calhoun the clouds were pretty much gone and the sun was beating down on me. I thought the threat of rain had passed, so I went on to Lake Harriett. At this point my knee was starting to bother me a bit, but it was kinda off and on. I stopped for a potty break and a gel while at Harriett (around mile 9). I was actually feeling better and thinking that I would actually make it through the run.

Then I started back toward the car again around the other side of Calhoun. Sometime along here the dark grey clouds returned, this time with a whole lot of wind! I was preparing myself for the oncoming deluge. I stopped again for a potty/stretching/water refill break at Calhoun before heading back to Lake of the Isles.

About a half mile around LOTI my stomach suddenly started doing flips and I had to walk. I had two choices...I could hope that this would pass and continue the 2 miles around the lake, or I could turn back and make it the half mile back to the port-o-john...I went with option 2. Afterwards, I turned toward the car (only about a half mile away at this point) and decided to call it a day. I made it 13 miles. Very disappointing.

But, I am gonna blame the rain. If it wasn't for the rain, I wouldn't have gone back to sleep and ended up eating that muffin when I got back up. I also wouldn't have been so miserable in the humidity. Plus, I would have already finished my run by then...instead of being a couple hours later. Yep, it was definately the rain's fault.

So, looking at my schedule...I had a 13 miler planned for next week, followed by a 20 miler on the 29th. I don't want to be too tired for my 20 miler, but I don't want to jump from a 15.5 to a 20 either. I think I am going to attempt the 18 miler next weekend then take it a little easier during the week before my 20 miler to make sure my legs get some rest.

No comments: