Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Early "Taper" Week

Yeah, that's what I was doing last week...tapering for this weekend's half marathon...just a little early...I wanted to get a head start.

Ok, ok. But I was traveling for a conference and had some trouble getting in miles. I was outside Phoenix where it was in the 90s (my body is definitely not ready for that yet) and the fitness center cost $20 per day!! Does that include my own personal trainer? Do they have solid platinum treadmills? WTH? So, I got in a couple very short runs but that is it.

I have no excuse why I did absolutely no running over the weekend though.

This week, I really don't want to overdo it. I know my body likes a bit of a rest before a race and I have a half marathon on Sunday (my first of the year and second ever). Oh yeah, it will also be my first 13 mile run of the year, and my second double digit run of the year. Yeah, I was hoping to be a little more prepared for this race, but it is a little late to do anything about that now.

I finished my other half with an 11:17 pace (2:27:40) and struggled quite a bit through the last couple miles. Ultimately for the year I would like to finish a HM in 2:20 (10:41 pace). I think for this race I will shoot for an 11:00 pace which would put me somewhere under the 2:25 mark. That is about where I have been running my long runs, so it should be doable. Then, next week I get to start getting more structured with my running and start somewhat of a training plan for the marathon. I think I am starting with a Pfitz 55 mpw plan (which I will try really hard to stick to). I am starting it a couple weeks early, but I figure that way I can have a couple bad weeks here and there and not really get behind in the training.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Not always bad to take a little extra break before you half. I think it will leave you stronger. Good luck and have fun!