Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Not Exactly "Master" Swimming

Don't get me wrong...I am no "Master" swimmer.  But, I do know how to swim - I took lessons through the YMCA back in Indiana about 30 yrs ago after all.  However, I have never been a part of a swim team/group.  Over the past couple years, I have been in the pool maybe twice a month (at the most) as cross-training. 

But then I got some "bucks" to spend at my gym for a referral.  Out of the options that they had, for some unknown reason, I decided that three months of Master Swimming would be a good way to spend those "bucks".  For two weeks before I actually signed up for the group, I made it the pool twice a week and tried to build up somewhat of a base - you know, so that I could make sure that I could survive trying to swim for a whole hour! 

So, two weeks ago I took the plunge and actually showed up for the group.  There were probably about a dozen people there that day.  I was by far the worst/slowest swimmer in the group. Somehow, I managed to survive the whole hour - although I wasn't exactly keeping up with the group.  There were 3 people in my lane and basically, I would go last and swim around twice.  Then I'd wait while they passed me (because they were about to lap me!) and repeat.

After class, the instructor asked me how I felt about the class and told me it would get easier. But I don't feel too bad about it - I mean, I couldn't even run a mile when I started out, and here I am two marathons later!  Today - I ALMOST swam a mile!!  I was only 60 yards short!  Next week's goal - I will get that mile swim for sure!

Today's workout - Swim 1700 yds.  Words of wisdom from the coach: Lift elbows higher on the recovery, I'm a really good kicker (could that have anything to do with the fact that I run?)

Only two weeks into class and it is already getting a little easier.

No comments: